Over time, after a few seasons of short or mini-skirts parading around in previous years, we realized that the length of skirts are changing especially during this 2013 when bohemian vibe invaded almost every 2013 fashion weeks. Inspired by various hippie touches from the 60s to 70s, either with prints or solid colors, billowy or straight cut, various clothes are gaining more length and long skirts are back again to be one of must-wears every woman should have.
Being an incredibly practical and comfortable fashion staple, long skirts, or mostly called maxi-skirts, are super chic and flattering, perfect for almost any occasion depending on its designs, details and styles, both for day-to-day wearing if paired with basic and neutral pieces, and for night outfit if matched with more sophisticated and elegant accessories and blouses. In other words, these pieces are a kind of embodiment of beauty, femininity, style and practicality.
However, like many other fashion pieces, wearing maxi-skirts can also be tough depending on how it’s done. Knowing that long skirt is great for women with taller figure cannot be denied. But the fact is actually all woman with all body shapes can fashion the pieces, as long as they know how to make appropriate combinations. More importantly, skirts of this style mark the tummy area as well many women suffer from additional hump when wearing these skirts. Here are some tips for wearing long skirt
Perfect style with Maxi Skirts
1. Disguise your rounded tummy by putting the skirts just below breast or wearing them at the thinnest part of your waist.
2. Styles that fall smoothly from the waist – no gathering – work better. Bunches of fabric around the tummy can be tough, especially if you have problem around the area
3. For great top pairing, you can wear a longer shirt (short tunic) over the skirt – not too long – that falls around the hips and do not tuck it in – or wear a basic crop tee with details like sequins or beads for a more fashionable look.
4. Figuring out the right skirt’s length for you is a bit of challenge since we’re all different heights. Just remember that the length of the skirt should be according to your height. When shopping for a long skirt, experimentation and hemming may be needed.
5. For a very tall woman, you can use the skirt’s length to hide the feet and flatten your figure, while for a shorter woman, the length of skirt could be a few inches above the ankle or even below the ankle to enhance much higher look – heels are also worth trying to add height.
Maxi Skirts for Every Body Type
6. For tall and slim women, any type of long skirt will absolutely look good on them. Therefore, this type of women can bet on any composition, from patterns and prints, to various bold and neutral tones, to various designs, such as printed skirt with light blouse, slim-cut skirt with detailed blouse, and more.
7. For woman with short or petit figure, you can use long skirt to trick and heighten the silhouette due to the length of the skirt. You may pair below the knee long skirt with tight blouse with the same tone. Try to avoid large prints and heavy full skirted models. Petite figure looks great with lightweight, fit and subtle sleek outfits.
8. For more formal wear – the office, dinner, or a meeting – although it’s easier to wear ankle and longer lengths, skirts that are 3-4 inches below the knee, or the midi skirts, look more polished instead of to the ankle. But for casual wear, ankle skirts are actually much more comfortable and prettier than jeans or slacks. A cool denim skirt would work at any longer length
9. Pencil skirts, long and very close to the body, are a challenge. They’re fashionable but pretty much uncomfortable compared to the flowy, a-line cut. Make sure you wear pencil skirts that flatter you, as well as give great comfort to sit and walk in.
What Shoes to Wear with Maxi Skirts
10. Choosing footwear with a long skirt relies heavily on each occasion. For day trips, for example, opt for flat sandals, slippers, sneakers, although comfortable sandals with wedges and low, stacky heels are more recommended.
11. As for compositions overnight, invest in more sophisticated footwear such as ankle boots, heeled gladiators, clogs, peep toes, pumps or dressy sandals.
12. Especially for boots, longer skirts look great with knee-high boots. They can be high or low heeled, suede or leather. All seem to work.
13. If you do not want to take that hippie style literally, use the skirt with ankle boots, sneakers, clogs, and peep toes, but nothing to wear them with dress shoes for boho, casual styles.
14. Alternatively – tights, socks, opaque hose with shoes seem to complete the line from skirt to foot. If you wear ankle boots, tights will fill in color to make a smoother line.